Saturday, March 6, 2010

Travel Overview


We made it!! I have to admit, with all the reasons I had to be nervous to move to Hawaii, the thing that made me most nervous was the fact that I was going to have to travel with a 2 year old for 12 hours...But we did it and we are still best buds!!
My parents drove me to the airport and my brother and his family came to say goodbye. That was so nice!! I wanted them to stay as long as possible. And they stayed until I had to board!
Luckily I got on the first plane right away and Dane did a good job going where I told him too! He was wearing his monkey backpack that serves as a leash. I was carrying his car seat and two very heavy carry-ons. Once the plane took off I started to get nervous because Dane started kicking the seat in front of him. So I apologized to the guy that he was kicking and he was very nice and saif "I have 5 kids! I'm used to it."
We landed in Boise, but I stayed on the same plane, Dane started to get a little grumpy. When I was at the airport with my family my sister-in-law Adrienne bought Dane a coloring book and crayons, they saved my life!!! He colored for the next two hours while we flew to Seattle.
We had a 3 1/2 hour layover in Seattle that I was dreading! Anyone that knows Dane knows that he will not sit still!! Once we got there he started dragging me all over the airport, it was so difficult because I had to carry around that dang carseat everywhere we went!! ARGH!! Finally, after 2 hours he settled down and started coloring again! (Thanks Adrienne!)
Right when I started thinking "I am not looking forward to the 4 hour flight that we have ahead of us" Scott called and said it was 6 hours, not 4!!!
At this point half of our travel day is over with and I am thinking, "ok, this isn't too bad", then the nightmare began!!!
We boarded the plane and happen to sit behind a grumpy guy that kept clearing his throat and looking back at me every time Dane kicked his seat or made a loud noise!! Not to mention, Dane was tired and grumpy and very hard to please at this point.
So the first 4 hours of the flight was a nightmare!! But finally he fell asleep for the last 2 hours!!
When we landed in Hawaii I was SO ready to see Scott!! We went to the baggage claim area and waited for him, when I saw him he started running toward us jumping up and down!! It was so nice to have such a happy welcome! When Dane saw him, he just leaned into his legs, it was so cute!!
We drove home, but I couldn't see anything because it was dark. When we got home I fell into bed and slept the hardest I have slept in a long time!!

4 comments:

Emilie said...

Air plane travel with kids is NO fun. Glad you made it safe and sound.

mary said...

Kara it was SO fun to read this, even though i feel for you with the hardships of traveling.. (it's grueling even without a 2 year old). I'm glad you're there safe and enjoying it. I miss you!

The Potter Family said...

I'm glad you made it! I have been wondering over the last few days how your trip was.
The pictures are beautiful! And those pictures of Dane's footprints are priceless! They are the cutest ever!

Highlights said...

I haven't been on here for awhile! I'm so glad everything went ok (even the flight to Hawaii with RUDE GUY!) AND...I'm so glad the crayons and coloring book helped! I hoped they would. They've saved me with Jolie more than once! I love all your other pictures too! I can't wait to see more and maybe come for a visit.